Search London and Pub history
History of Grays Thurrock in 1863 Whites Directory
Grays Thurrock 1863 Whites Directory
GRAYS THURROCK, commonly called GRAYS, is a small ancient town on the north
bank of the river Thames, 20 1/2 miles E. by S. of Whitechapel, and 4 miles
N.W. by W. of Gravesend. It has a railway station on the London, Tilbury,
and Southend line; and a small creek or harbour, which receives hoys and
other vessels as large as 300 tons; and has a wooden pier, 200 feet long,
constructed in 1841, at the cost of £2500, by a company of proprietors, in
£10 shares. This pier has been altered to serve as a wharf. The London and
Gravesend steam vessels call here several times a day, and the town presents
a scene of considerable traffic, especially in bricks and tiles, of which
large quantities are made here, and sent to London. Here are also extensive
lime kilns and chalk pits. The town has likewise a large brewery, and a
coast guard, consisting of a captain and seven men. It had formerly a corn
market every Thursday, but it declined after the institution of that at
Romford, about 60 years ago. It has a pleasure fair on May 23rd. Its parish
contains 1332A. of land, and had only 677 inhabitants in 1801; but in 1831
they had increased to 1248, in 1851 to 1731, and in 1861 to 2145 souls. It
received the distinguishing part of its name from the noble family of Grey,
or Gray, who held it more than three centuries. Richard de Grey procured it
a charter for a weekly market on Friday, (afterwards changed to Thursday),
and two annual fairs, in the reign of Henry III; and the grant was confirmed
by Edward III. The manor was granted by Richard I. to Henry de Grey, and it
was held by his family till 1521, as parcel of the Duchy of Lancaster and
honor of Mandeville. James Theobald, Esq., is now lord of the manor and
owner of most of the soil. BELMONT CASTLE, the pleasant seat of J. S. Rigge,
Esq., belongs to Geo R Hilliard, and stands half-a-mile N.W. of the town, on
the summit of an eminence which rises abruptly from the banks of the Thames.
It was built by the late Zachariah Button, Esq., who finished it in a costly
style of architecture. The centre is a round embattled tower, in four
stories, with spacious apartments, commanding extensive prospects of the
river, the shipping, and the rich Kentish enclosures, to the hills beyond
the great Dover road. Richard Meeson, Esq, and several smaller owners, have
estates in the parish. Grays Gas Works were constructed in 1854, at the cost
of £1700, raised in £10 shares. Grays, or the 2nd Essex Rifle Volunteers,
numbers about 80 men, commanded by Oapt. R. B. W. Baker, Esq. The Church
(St. Peter and St. Paul) was rebuilt by the parishioners in 1846, at the
cost of £1800, on its original cruciform plan, and in the
Anglo-Norman-style. The tower has two bells, and is crowned by a small
spire. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £5. Os.
10d., and in 1831 at £160. Jas. Theobald, Esq., is patron, and the Rev.W. H.
Richards, BA., is the incumbent, and has a neat residence. The tithes were
commuted in 1837 - the vicarial for £250, and the rectorial for £230. The
latter belong to J. Errington, Esq. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in
1858, and a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1847. Here are several Sunday
Schools, and an endowed Charity School. In 1706, William Palmer vested in
trust, for the foundation of a CHARITY SCHOOL, and other charitable uses, in
this parish, five tenements in Whitecross street, and one in Lombard street,
London. Part of this property was sold, in 1786, for £600, which was
invested in the purchase of £944. 12s. 6d. three-per-cent. consols. The
property in London now belonging to the charity consists of the houses
numbered 218 and 220, Whitecross street, and that numbered 43 in Lombard
street. These houses are let for about £lOO, which, added to the dividends
of the stock, swells the yearly income of the charity to about £140. By his
will, in 1709, the donor gave the school and master's house. The master has
a yearly salary of £70, and the usher £40, and they are required to teach 48
boys as free scholars; and four of them are clothed by the trustees. Five
chaldrons of coals are annually distributed among the poor. The sum of £1
per annum is applied in monthly doles of bread. Sir T. B. Lennard, And 19
others, are trustees. The poor parishioners have the interest of £14 derived
from the gift of a Mr. Brandon. They had the yearly rent of £4, left by Wm.
Hansworth, in 1759, out of four houses ; but the owner (Mr. J. H. Brand)
refused to pay it in 1834, alleging that it was void by the statute of
South Essex Water Works Company was incorporated by Act of Parliament in
1861-2, with a capital of £80,000, in £10 snares, for the purpose of
supplying Brentwood, Ilford, Barking, Romford, and other places between
Grays and the district adjacent to the eastern suburbs of London, with pure
water, from the copious springs which have been opened during the last 50
years, in the extensive chalkpits and quarries at Grays Thurrock. These
springs are capable of producing many million gallons daily, free from
organic matter, and easily rendered, by the usual process, far softer than
any other water at present supplied to London. It is particularly suitable
for shipping, and will keep during the longest voyages without change. The
works were commenced in 1862, and the water is to be forced in large pipes
to a high-service reservoir, on an elevated site, near Warley Barracks. The
Company's Offices are at 8, George yard, Lombard street, London; and Mr. M.
Beale is the secretary.
POST OFFICE at Thomas Hewer's.
Letters despatched at 4 afternoon.
Money Orders granted and paid.
|Amonia Company, ulmate of amonia mfrs. (A. T. Weld, manager)
Andrews Jph. Howard, plumber, etc
Ash Christopher, farmer
Baylis George, revenue officer
Beale Alfred, hair dresser, etc
Bennett John, watchmaker, etc
Cattaway Jas. John, lighterman
Coker William, wood turner, etc
Collin (Hy.) & Williams (Rt.L.) solrs.
Coppin Thomas, greengrocer
Ford Jas. Hanidge, surgeon, and agent to Phoenix Fire Office
Freeman John, policeman
French Charles, surveyor, etc ;
Gilbert Thos. saddler, ironmonger, implement dealer, agent to Sun
Fire Office, etc
Harrison William, plumber, etc
Harvey Robert, tea dealer
Heigho George, relieving officer
Henderson Mary Ann, druggist
Herbert Helen, Catholic School
Hope David Graham, engineer, and manager of the Chalk Works
Horncastle Andrew, parish clerk
Horncastle Arthur, printer, news agent, broker, & agt.to Norwich.
Horncastle My. Ann, schoolmistress
Landfleld Wm. Leonard, miller, and corn & coal merchant, Pier Lodge
Law William, corn dealer
Legge Richd. greengrocer & fishmonger
Manstree John, watchmaker, etc
Meeson Richd. & Co. lime, chalk and flint works, brick and.tile
manfrs. etc Grays Wharf
Meeson Richd. Esq.; h Duvals
Merchant Rev. James (Independent)
Moss Charles, Esq. Sherfield House
Nunn Richard Maddock, surgeon
Pitt Mr Charles
Philcox George, station master
Richards Rev. William Henry, B,A. Vicarage
Rigge John Saunderson, Esq. Belmont Castle
Rigge John Morton, schoolmaster
Seabrooke James, brewer, maltster, coal & salt mert. & wharfinger
Smith Josiah, plumber, insurancee agent etc
Sturgeon Alfred, farmer, etc Elms
Theobald William, fishmonger
Tuplin Mr Benj
Talbot Mr Rt
Weld Arthur Thomas, manager of Amonia Works ; h Stiflbrd Lodge
Woodward Hy. manager, Gas Works
King Hy. Geo
|INNS AND TAVERNS.
Bull, William West
Castle, John Cracknel!
King's Arms Hotel, Thos. Gilbert, wine & spirit mert. horse letter,
Railway Hotel, John Howell
Rising Sun, John Wilson
Sailor's Return, Benj. Sneezum
Theobald's Arms, Wm. Clark, smith
White Hart, John Crotty
West Jas. Wm.
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Cobbing J. J. E.
Hall Wm, carpenter
Meeson and Co.
Gladwin W. H.
Ives Thos. Hy.
Hall Jas. agt to Leeds & Yorks Insurance Co.
Taylor Jas. Ths.
RAILWAY Trains to London and Southend, 9 times a day.