History of Woodford in 1863 Whites Directory
Woodford 1863 Whites Directory
WOODFORD, a long and handsome village, with many neat mansions and large boarding schools, is delightfully situated in Epping Forest, on the west side of the vale of the river Roding, and on the Epping old road, 8 miles N.E. of London. Woodford and George Lane Stations are on the railway from London to Loughton, which is to be extended northward to Epping, &c. At the north end of the village, 1 1/2 mile from the church, is the suburb of Woodford Wells, so called from a mineral spring, formerly in high repute, but now neglected; and about a mile to the east, on the river Roding, is the suburb of Woodford Bridge, where there was anciently a ford. The village, enclosing a green, is distinguished for the purity of its air, and the rides and walks in its vicinity, through woody and umbrageous scenery, renders it an enchanting place of retreat for the long pent-up citizens of London, especially during the summer months. The parish contains 3458 inhabitants and 2148 acres of land, chiefly meadow and pasture, and including about 420 acres of open common or forest lands. A new road to Walthamstowe was cut through the forest, on the western side of the parish, in 1829; and since then many houses have been built in the parish upon lands enclosed from the forest wastes. Woodford was one of the 17 lordships given by Earl Harold to Waltham Abbey, and the grant was confirmed by Edward the Confessor and subsequent monarchs. The Earl of Mornington is now lord of the manor; but the Hall belongs to the Rev. J, W.Maitland; and many other proprietors have estates and neat houses in the parish. Woodford Rifle Volunteers number about 70 men, commanded by Capt. Geo. Noble. In the village is a station of the metropolitan police.
The PARISH CHURCH (St. Mary) was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1816-17, at the cost of nearly £9OOOO, raised by subscription and parochial rates. It is an elegant brick edifice, in the ancient style of English architecture, with a square embattled tower containing six bells. The nave is separated from the aisles by six pointed arches, carried up to the roof, which is of open woodwork, supported by eight pillars, and surmounted in the centre by an octangular lantern. The east window is of stained glass, divided into three compartments, containing figures of our Saviour, the four Evangelists, and St. Peter and St. Paul. The nave is handsomely pewed, and has a good organ. In the churchyard is a remarkable yew tree, the girth, of which, at 4 1/2 feet from the ground, is above 14 feet, and the spread of its boughs forms a circle of about 180. feet. Here is also a lofty marble column, of the Corinthian order, to the memory of the ancient and knightly family of Godfrey, one of whom was the celebrated Sir Edmundbury Godfrey. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 12s., and in 1831 at £788, is in the gift of the Earl of Mornington, and incumbency of the Rev. W. H. Phillips, B.A., who has a good residence and 15A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £670 per annum. ST. PAUL'S CHURCH, at Woodford Bridge, was erected in 1855, for the northern parts of the parish. The district allotted to it has about 1000 souls. It is a perpetual curacy, valued at £100, in the gift of the Rector, and incumbency of the Rev. C. B. Waller, M.A. St. Paul's National School was built in 1859. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1827, and enlarged in 1862; and two Wesleyan Ohapels, erected in 1837 and 1852. The parish has a National School, attended by about 120 boys and girls; and it is entitled to send four free scholars to Bishop Harsnett's School, at Ohigwell, and two to Christ's Hospital, London - the latter in consideration of Fowke's Charity. Here is also a British School and a Literary Institution.
The Poor's Stock, amounting to £100, was vested, in 16B7, in a yearly rent-charge of £5, out of the George Inn. Of this stock £40 was left by Eliz. Elwes, in 1625. For distribution in bread the poor have 40s. a year, out of an estate called the Naked Beauty, left by Sir Henry Lee; 20s. a year from Sampson's Charity; and the dividends of £260 Three per Cent Reduced Annuities, purchased in 1829, with the proceeds of the sale of other stock, derived from the gifts of Win. Prescott, Robert Chester, Richard Warner, and others. In 1814, ELLEN DOD left £10 a year to Woodford, to be applied as follows:- £4.14s. for four sermons, and £5.6s. for five distributions
of bread among the poor. This annuity is paid out of the dividends of £5OO Three per Cent Reduced Annuities, belonging partly to Pakefield parish, by gift of the same donor. The poor of Woodford have the dividends of £283.9s. 11d. Three-and-a-half per Cent. Reduced Annuities, left by Ellen Hawker, in 1816; and of £731.10s. 4d. Three per Cent. Consols, purchased with £500, left by Dr. John Rodgers, in 1811; £100 left by John Harman,in 1819; and £85 given by Dr. Waite, the Prince of Conde, and Mrs. Angler. In 1820, John Popplewell gave £500 Three per Cent Reduced Bank Annuities, in trust, to apply the yearly dividends, as far as necessary, in repairing the monument of B. H. Stanyford, and to distribute the remainder in coals among the poor parishioners, except 10s. for the parish clerk for giving notice of each distribution. For the same purposes his sisters, Anne and Rebecca Popplewell, gave £300 of the same stock in 1831. The rector and others are trustees ; and on the Sunday after May 18th, they distribute in bread
the dividends of £129. 8s. Three per Cent Consols, purchased with £100 left by Henry Burnester, in 1823.
London pub history directory.
Walking the London Roman Wall
Pepys Taverns 1660
Early London pub tokens 1649-72
Survey of London in 1756
Masonic Taverns & Coffee Houses
John Lockie 1810
1832 Street directory
TFL stations 2021