The Living History of Britain’s Pubs

Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.

The history of the Board Inn, 16 Low Ousegate, York

York from the Scotland NLS site in 1852.

York Pubs history

There are three different Board in Low Ousegate, at numbers 5, 9 and 16 Low Ousegate. These are all different. The Board Inn, 16 Low Ousegate were occupied in 1838 by John Bacon, a wine and spirit merchant. In 1843 he was succeeded by Joseph Hillyard and family members owned this license until 1933 when Walter Hillyard transferred it to Herbert Outhwaite. *HM.

Joseph Hillyard & Son, Whisky and Family Wine Merchants, 16 Low Ousegate, York

Joseph Hillyard & Son, Whisky and Family Wine Merchants, 16 Low Ousegate, York

Yorkshire Gazette. 24 December 1842
Wines and Spirits at Wholesale Prices,
Joseph Hillyard,
16, Low Ousegate, York,
Importer of Foreign Wines and Spirits.
.. List of Prices e.g. 32 shillings for a gallon of Finest Cognac brandy or 5s 6d a bottle.

Boston Spa News. 11 March 1892
Established Half a Century
Joseph Hillyard & Sons,
Whisky Merchants,
16, Low Ousegate, York,
Invite attention to their various blends of First Class Old Scotch and Irish Whiskies which are distilled from carefully selected home-grown Barley, fully malted na dbeing matured by age, only represent the best and most desirable style of Whiskies procurable.

1936, Board Inn, Low Ousegate, G R H Larter

1939, Board Inn, Low Ousegate, W Pritchard

1953, J Hillyard & Son, Board Inn, 16 Low Ousegate

1955, J Hillyard & Son, Board Inn, 16 Low Ousegate


*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003

And Last updated on: Saturday, 01-Aug-2026 18:22:51 BST
PUB HISTORY