The Living History of Britain’s Pubs

Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.

The history of the Cannon, Museum street, York

York from the Scotland NLS site in 1852. ; the map describes this as the Gun P H.

York Pubs history

Previously known as the Black Boy, it existed by 1783. But both existed as separate entities by 1823. It was built into the city walls and was pulled down in 1863 when the ramparts were cleared to make way for the new Lendal Bridge. *HM

1818, Jane Chipstead, Cannon, Lendall

1823 Pigots, Thomas Chipstead, Cannon, Lendal

1829 Pigots, James Chipstead, Cannon, Lendal

1834 Pigots, James Chipstead, Cannon, Lendal

1841 Pigots, Jane Chipstead, Cannon, Lendal

In 1841 census at Lendal Street, St Wilfred, York, Yorkshire - Cannon
Jane Chipstead, Publican aged 64 and born in Yorkshire
Mary Morley aged 35 and born in Yorkshire
John Coates aged 4 and born in Yorkshire
Hannah Dean aged 55 and born in Yorkshire

1843, Cannon, Jane Chipstead, Museum street


1849, Cannon, Jane Chipstead, Lendal hill

In 1851 census at Museum Street, St Wilfred Yorkshire, York
Jane Chipstead, licensed Victualler, Widow, aged 77 and born in Yorkshire
Mary A M Chipstead, Daughter, aged 47 and born in Yorkshire

1851, J. Chipstead, Cannon, Museum street

1858, S Bateson, Cannon, Museum street, York

1861, Cannon, Mrs S Bateson, Museum street

In 1861 at Lendal Hill, St Wilfred, York, Yorkshire
Sarah Bateson, Publican, Widow aged 54 and born in York, Yorkshire
Mary Bateson, Daughter aged 21 and born in York, Yorkshire
Joseph Bateson, Son, Whitesmith apprentice aged 16 and born in York, Yorkshire
Henry Bateson, Son aged 13 and born in York, Yorkshire



*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003

And Last updated on: Sunday, 16-Aug-2026 16:20:23 BST
PUB HISTORY