Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.
Previously the Wheatsheaf until 1851 or 1855, in Castlegate. Clifford street was created in 1881 and an entrance was gained. It closed in 1969 and demolished in 1971. *HM
1861, J Brown, Castle, 10 Castlegate
1872, John Brown, Castle Inn, 26 Castlegate
1885, Castle, Castlegate, Richard Roe
Listed as the Castle Hotel, Clifford street, York once Clifford street is built.
*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003