Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.
Previously the Anchor. Mentioned in 1841 under this name. Demolished in 1881 in connection with Clifford street improvements which included the final completion of the demolition of the Water Lanes area. *HM
1861, J Gough, Crown & Anchor, Kings staith
In 1871 census at Kings Staith, St Mary, York, Yorkshire ; the Crown and Anchor
William Spink, Inn keeper aged 37 and born in Yorkshire
Emma Frankish, General servant aged 50 and born in Yorkshire
Thomas Hutchinson, Joiner in york ans slept under haystack last night aged 25 and born in Stokesley, Yorkshire
1872, William Spink, Crown and Anchor Inn, 8 King's staith, King street, Castlegate
*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003