The Living History of Britain’s Pubs

Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.

The history of the Edward the VII Inn, 105 Nunnery lane, York

Originally a beerhouse known as Wrights House. It gained this name on the accession of Edward VII, in 1903 Licensing sessions upon the removal of the full licence of the Jacobs Well. The Edward VII received the licence of the Jacobs Well in 1903. Closed in 2013. *HM

York Pubs history

In 1891 at 105 Nunnery Lane, St Mary Bishopshill Senior, York is later the Edward the VII Inn
Robert A Wright, Ale & porter merchant beerhouse keeper aged 37 and born in Moss, United States
Isabel Wright, Wife aged 31 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Lilian Wright, Daughter aged 9 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Robert A Wright, Son aged 7 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Walter V Wright, Son aged 2 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Sarah A Lindley, General servant aged 19 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire

Yorkshire Evening Post. 06 March 1903
The Licences of York.
The magistrates, on the application of Mr W Warren, Leeds, confirmed the removal of the full licence of the Jacobs Well, in Trinity lane, to premises in Nunnery lane which have hitherto been a beer house and will in future be known under the sign of "Edward VII".

In 1911 at 2 Spencer St York, York, Yorkshire is the Edward the VII
John George Collins, Hotel manager for brewer aged 42 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Emma Collins, Wife aged 46 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Gladys Annie Collins, Daughter aged 14 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire
Tharesa Dodsworth, Servant aged 22 and born in Yorks, Yorkshire

1913, John George Collins, Edward VII. 105 Nunnery lane

1920, King Edward VII, Nunnery lane – H Brabbs

1930, Edward the Seventh, Nunnery lane – W J Cockerill

1936, Edward the VII Inn, Nunnery lane, W J Cockerill

1953, Harold R Willis, Edward the VII Inn, 105 Nunnery lane

1955, Harold R Willis, Edward the VII Inn, 105 Nunnery lane



*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jul-2026 09:22:06 BST
PUB HISTORY