The Living History of Britain’s Pubs

Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.

The history of the Full Moon, 178 Walmgate, York

York from the Scotland NLS site in 1852. .

York Pubs history

Previously the Barley Corn and The Hope and Anchor. By 1838 Thomas Moon was licensee. It was rebuilt shortly before 1902, and it had five bedrooms, somr available for Travellers. On the ground floor was a smoke room, a dram shop, a serving bar and a private kitchen. There was also a cellar. J J Hunt applied to remove the license to new premises to be erected on the new Corporation Housing Estate on Bell Farm.
It closedon 22 May 1939 when the license of the Garrick Head, Petergate was voluntarily surrendered at the same time. *HM

1840 Pigots, Thomas Moon, Full Moon, 178 Walmgate

1851, William Kyle, Full Moon, 178 Walmgate

1876, Pelham Anderson, Moon Inn, 29 Walmgate

1885, John Whitwell, Moon, 29 Walmgate

1902, W Casterton, Full Moon Inn, 29 Walmgate

In 1911 at Full Moon Inn 29 Walmgate York, Yorkshire
Charles Edward Scaife, Inn keeper aged 32 and born in St Cuthbert Parish York Yorks
Alice Scaife, Wife aged 31 and born in St Lawrence Parish York Yorks
Alice Scarfe, Daughter aged 9 and born in St Cuthbert Parish York Yorks
Albert Scarfe, Son aged 8 and born in St Cuthbert Parish York Yorks
Edward Scarfe, Son aged 6 and born in St Lawrence Parish York Yorks
Louie Reynolds, Visitor Widower aged 44 and born in Bishophill York Yorks
Irene Mary Scarfe, Daughter aged 2 and born in St Lawrence Parish York Yorks

1913, Charles Scaife, Full Moon, 27 Walmgate

1936, Full Moon, Walmgate, J E Hanson


*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jul-2026 16:01:17 BST
PUB HISTORY