The Living History of Britain’s Pubs

Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.

The history of the Green Tree, Lawrence row, Barbican road, York

York Pubs history

Previously the Yew Tree Inn. Named the Green Tree by 1841. Closed on 11th December 1858, with its license having been surrendered. The Green Tree at Beckfield Lane also opened at this time, although that license came from the Coach and Horses, Swinegate. *HM

1851, J. Ward, Green Tree, Lawrence row

1872, George Whitehead, Green Tree Inn, 11 Lawrence row, Lawrence street

1885, John Shephard, Green Tree, Lawrence row

1913, Green Tree, James Barker, Barbican road

1920, Green Tree, Barbican road – J Burnett

1930, Green Tree, Barbican road – Fields, John William

1936, Green Tree Inn, Barbican road, Harry Roebuck

1953, Green Tree Inn, Mrs Ethel Pratt, 11 Barbican road

1955, Green Tree Inn, Mrs Ethel Pratt, 11 Barbican road



*HM - Hugh Murray Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003

And Last updated on: Sunday, 02-Aug-2026 17:23:13 BST
PUB HISTORY