Landlords, legends, census records, and lost taverns.
There are two different Black Dog, in Jubbergate in 1834. Joseph Jameson is at 4 Jubber gate; and Elizabeth Spurr is at 59 Jubber gate. This is mentioned in a lease August 1757, By 1823 it was just the Black Dog, but again the old Black Dog by 1828 to differentiate the different Dogs. *HM
22nd October 1807 - Indentures of Lease and Release.
Lease is between George Burnell amd his wife Hannah, liquor merchant of York, and James Spurr, City aledraper and his wife Elizabeth. All that one full and undivided moiety of the messuage tenament and dwelling house with the back kitchen yard and premises in Low Jubbergate, York called the Black Dog Public House bounded on one side by a dwelling house and butchers shop now in the occupation of James Ledger, and on the other side by a dwelling house now in the occupation of Ardington. Conveyance fee to Spurr and his wife, £260.
1823, Elizabeth Spurr, Black Dog, Lower Jubbergate
Yorkshire Gazette. 27 July 1833
Valuable Freehold Property, York to be sold by auction,
At the House of Mrs Spurr, the Black Dog Inn, in Jubbergate, in the city of York. ....
1834 Pigots, Old Black Dog, Elizabeth Spurr, 59 Jubber gate
York Herald. 09 July 1836
City Insolvent Debtors Court
Charles Newstead Fearnley, formerly of the Black Dog, Jubbergate, publican and portrait painter, and late of Eldon street, Groves, portrait painter only, had received notice of opposition from Messrs Roper, which was not served in time - Discharged forthwith.
Yorkshire Gazette. 25 March 1865
Deaths - Dobson. On the 17th instant, at the Kings Head Inn, Kirbymoorside, aged 75, Mtr Metcalf Dobson, innkeeper and farmer, formerly of the Black Dog, Jubbergate, in this city.
And Last updated on: Tuesday, 18-Aug-2026 11:20:51 BST
PUB HISTORY