You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Amersham 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Amersham pub history index & 1863 Traders & Hamlets

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

AMERSHAM a small market town and parish, includes the hamlets of ColesHill and Winchmore Hill, and is delightfully situate in a valley 3 miles from Chesham, 5 from Beaconsfield, and 26 from London, in the hundred of Burnham, and union of its name. Like most other Buckinghamshire towns it chieflv consists of one main street; with an ancient market house, erected by Sir William Drake, in 1682. The town is skirted by the Mesbourn, a tributary of the river Colne, and surrounded by wood-crowned hills, and a beautiful and fertile country. Previous to the Reform Act it was a Parliamentary Borough, represented for more than tw» centuries by members of the ancient family of Drake, of Shardeloes, a descendant of which, Thomas Tyrwhitt Drake, Esq., is the present lord of the manor. The market is held on Tuesday, retains but little of its former importance; fairs are holden on Whit-Monday, for cattle, and Sep. 19, for cattle and hiring. Petty Sessions are held every fourth Monday in each month. The working classes are employed in agricultural pursuits, chair making, and lace and straw plaiting; here are three £our mills, and the extensive brewery of Wm. Weller, Esq.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an antique structure of brick, coated with stucco, in the Gothic style of architecture. In the chancel is a window of stained glass, with a beautiful representation, of the Twelve Apostles and Evangelists; also monuments of the Dents and Curwens. A chantry adjoining the chancel is entirely occupied by monuments to the Drake family, including a very fine one to the last deceased representative, who died 1852. The church contains some curious brasses of the Brudenells and the Batemans. John Knox, the celebrated Scotch reformer, used to preach here. The living is a rectory, value £1,500 per annum, commuted tithes, in the patronage of Thomas Tyrwhitt Drake, Esq., and deanery of itself; the Rev. Robert Hawker Kingdon, M.A., is rector, and the Rev. Charles A Baynes, B.A., curate. Here are chapels for the Particular Baptists, General Baptist and Wesleyans; also National Schools and a School conducted on the British system. The Free Endowed Grammar School was founded in 1620, by Dr Challoner, rector of the parish; three of the scholars are entitled to exhibitions in Corpus Christi College, Oxford. A Savings Bank, in connexion with that at High Wycombe, has been established a number of years. Shardeloes, the seat of Thomas Tyrwhitt Drake, Esq., is a delightful residence, after a design by Adams, situate in the midst of extensive grounds, about a mile north-west of the town. In the 16th century several inhabitants of this town were burnt at the stake, for professing the tenets of the Lollards; and in that of Mary the same scenes were renewed; the spot is still shewn where the martyrs suffered, and a report is current that it has always remained barren, in spite of all efforts to fertilise it. Six Almshouses, for six widows of decayed farmers and tradesmen, were founded in 1657, by Sir William Drake, who also left an endowment for the benefit of the inmates, who receive 6s. per week, firing, a new gown every two years, and an allowance of 9s. 4d. on the longest day, and 1s. 4d. on the shortest. Other important charities connected with the parish realize about £400 per annum, the control of which is vested in the Amersham Charity Trustees. The Union Workhouse is a handsome brick building, of the Elizabethan order, erected in 1838, on an eminence overlooking the town. The population in 1861 was 3019. The parish contains an area of 7734 acres.
Coleshill is a small hamlet and village, in the parish of Amersham, situate on a hill, in the county of Herts, 1 1/2 miles S. of Amersham. This was the birth-place of Waller, the poet, who here composed some of his poems under an oak, now pointed out as an object of interest. The manufacture of coarse earthenware is carried on to some extent. Winchmore Hill is a small hamlet situate between Coleshill and Penn.

Baines Rev Charles A., B.A. (curate) High street
Belcher Miss Louisa, Union st, Church street
Brickwell Benjamin A., esq
Brickwell Thomas, esq, Church street
Carpenter William Guest, esq, High street
Chapman Miss, Bury end
Daniels Thomas, esq
Day William, esq, High street
Downing Miss Elizabeth, Union street
Drake Mrs Emily, Little Shardeloes
Drake Thomas Tyrwhitt, esq, Shardeloes
Holloway Rev George, Church street
Isaacson George, esq, High street
Kingdon Rev Robert Hawker, M.A. (rector), Rectory
Luce Rev Edmund, M.A., Beel house
Marshall John, esq
Morten Thomas H., esq, High street
Prowse William, esq, High st
Statham C., esq, High street
Weller Mrs Lydia, Church street
Williams Rev W. H., Grammar school
Wingrove Robert, esq, High st


*** Provided By Colin Ager

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Sunday, 29-Mar-2020 00:25:06 GMT