Provided by Thelma McMurchy
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Hertfordshire .
Residents at this address
John William and Augusta King, were living at Shenley Hill, a Victualler in
the 1851 & 1861, and the 1871 census.
John William (I) died in 1872 at Shenley, and Augusta ran the 'White Horse' until she died in 1893 at Shenley. ***
All but one of the family owned pubs, that was Maria King who married William Bartlett. When Maria's mother Augusta King died (1893) Maria and William Bartlett owned the White Horse.
Here is a run down of my King family who owned pubs:
John William (I) born 1810 and Augusta (Miles) 1851-1891 'White Horse' Shenley, Herts.
- John William (II) & Charlotte (Hall) King, 'Great Northern Inn', North Road, Hatfield in 1871
- John William (II) & Charlotte (Hall) King, 'The Victory', Kingsland Road, Shoreditch.
- James & Elizabeth (Groom) King, 'The Two (Black) Boys', Well Street, Hackney.
- George & Louisa & Elizabeth (Mansfield) King, 'White Lion', Little James Street, London.
- Louisa (King) & Ulric Geiger (d. 1890) 'Three Hammers', Mill Hill, Hendon, James King (brother) name also in Directory at 'Three Hammers'.
- Augusta (King) & Horace Collins, 'Old Bell' Barnet, Herts.
- Maria (King) & William Barlett, 'White Horse' Shenley, 1892-1912
- Mary Ann (King) & George Groom, 'Crown', 87 Henry Street, Marylebone London.
- Charles & Ellen (Woodhouse) & Mary Ann (Groom) King, 'White Lion' Little James Street, London 1891.
My Grandfather, *Charles Edward King's parents were John William (II) & Charlotte (Hall) King. Charles Edward was born at 'The Victory' Kingsland Road., Shoreditch.
Children of John & Charlotte King to own pubs were:
- Charlotte (King) & Charles Coomber, 'Duke of St. Albans', Highgate Road.
- Edith (King) & Leonard Cannell, 'Leather Bottle', Belverdere, Kent.
- John William (III) & Alice (Parslow), 'White Lion', Little James Street, London 1899.
- *Charles Edward & Catherine (Pummell) King, Catherine's father George Samuel Pummell owned four pubs:-
'The Barley Mow', Marylebone, London.
'The Agriculture Hotel', Liverpool Road., London.
'New Jolley Caulkers' Surrey.
'Crown', Southwark, Surrey.
** Provided By Stephen Harris