Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
AYLESFORD is a small town and parish in Larkfield hundred, three miles N.W. of
Maidstone, and six S.W. of Rochester. The population in 1861 was 1,487. The
church is dedicated to St. Peter, and is a handsome, edifice. The living is a
vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester ; the Rev. Edward G.
Marsh is the incumbent. Fostal is half a mile east; Preston half a mile S.W.;
Bowe Place one mile north; Kewland two miles north; Soddington one mile N.E.;
Cow Leaze half a mile N.E.; Pratling Street one mile and a half N.E.; Cussington
one mile and a half N.E.
POST-OFFICE. - Richard Cossom, Receiver. Letters arrive through Maidstone,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Betts, Edward Ladd, Esq., Preston Hall
Cheere, Captain John
Eldred, Mr. Edward
Marsh, Rev. Edward G., M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Summerfield, Mrs. Charlotte E.
Public Houses in Aylesford