Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BREDGAR is a parish and village, three miles S.W. of Sittingbourne. The
population in 1851 was 594. Here is also a parish church. The living is a
vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. S. R. Piggott. Bexan, or Baxan, is one
mile S.E.; Swanton, three quarters of a mile S.W.; Silver Street, a quarter of a
mile west; Dean Bottom, one mile west; Stiff Street and Fridwood, one mile N.W.;
Car Street and Sutton Barn, one mile and a half north.
POST-OFFICE. - Batchelor, Earle, sen., Receiver. Letters received through
bourne. The nearest Money Order Office is at Sitting bourne.
Cobb, George, Esq., Bredger House | Piggott, Rev. Samuel R., M.A., Incumbent
Ashdown, John, school
Bensted, Thomas, farmer, Swan Court
Bonny, John, farmer
Dean, Frederick James, butcher
Dunford, Edward, farmer, Sutton Barn
Earle, Batchelor, sen., post-office, carpenter and wheelwright
Goathem, George, carpenter and parish clerk
Goodhew, George, Sun
Goodhew, William, grocer, etc., Swan court
Hodge, Joseph, bricklayer
Inchcomb, Henry, carpenter and wheelwright
Radcliff, Richard, farmer, Baxon
Reed, Henry, smith and farrier
Sage, William, grocer and beer retailer, Silver Street
- Plough & Harrow
Scooms, Edward, boot and shoe maker
Solomon, William, farmer, Parsonage
Wood, George, baker
Wood, Richard, grocer, &c.
Wood, William, farmer
Wyles, James, miller, Dean's Hill