Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BROMLEY is a town, pleasantly situated in the Western Division of the county,
miles from London, 14 miles from Sevenoaks, and six miles from Greenwich,
south-by-east. The nearest railway station is Sydenham. The population in 1851
was 4,127. It is in the hundred of Bromley Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, and
union of Bromley; it is also a county court district for sixteen parishes, held
every month at the White Hart Inn. The church of St. Paul is an ancient edifice,
has a low tower at the west end, and has an excellent peal of eight bells. It is
in the diocess of Canterbury. ,The living is a perpetual curacy; the Rev. James
Edward Newell, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. J. Edwards, M.A., curate.
The Bishop of Rochester is the patron and impropriator of the great tithes.
There is also a church, or chapel of ease, dedicated to the Holy Trinity; it is
a neat structure, being built in the Gothic style of architecture.
The living is a perpetual curacy; the Rev. Arthur Rawson, M.A., incumbent. Here
are four dissenting places of worship, two Independents' and two Wesleyans'.
Here is a savings' bank, and a literary institution, with an extensive library.
The town is well paved, and lighted with gas.
POST-OFFICE. - Joseph Bradley Shillcock, Postmaster. Money Orders are granted
and paid at this Office.
Savings' Bank. - Richard J. Denness, Secretary, High street.
Public Houses in Bromley
Traders in Bromley in 1858