Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
CUXTON is a village, three miles S.W. of Rochester. The population in 1851 was
374. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The living is a rectory, in the
patronage of the bishop of Rochester; the Rev. Robert Shaw is the incumbent.
Ranscomb is three quarters of a mile north; Upper and Lower Bush, half a mile
west; Whorn's Place, a quarter of a mile S.E.
POST-OFFICE. - William Hollingdale, Receiver. Letters are received through
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Shaw, Rev. Robert, Rector, Rectory.
Baker, Sarah, shopkeeper
Boorman, Wild, and Co., lime burners
Burrow, William, wheelwright
Clifton, Robert, blacksmith
Jupp, Edward, White Hart
Parker, John, farmer
Pye, George, farmer
Pye, William, farmer