Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses & Taverns in Darenth
DARENTH, or DARENT, is an ancient village and parish, two miles and three
quarters from Dartford, S.E., and seven miles S.W. from Gravesend. The
population in 1851 was 624. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret, and is a
small ancient building. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean
and Chapter of Rochester, and incumbency of the Rev. John Eveleigh, M.A. Green
Street Green is a village, three miles and a half S.W. from Northfleet, and one
mile and a half east from Darenth. In
the village is a very curious old inn. St. Margaret's is one mile S.E. of
Darenth; St. John's is half a mile south; Gills is one mile and a half S.E.
POST-OFFICE. - William Peat, Receiver. Letters are received through Dartford,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Cotes, George, Esq.
Eveleigh, Rev. John, M.A., Vicar, Vicarage.
Fleet, William, Esq., Grange
Andrus, George, farmer, Gill's Farm
Beard, Richard, R. W., registrar
Chapman, Thomas, farmer
Cresy, Edward, architect
Crinps, Edward, farmer
Cripps, William, maltster
Ludlow, John, White Hart
Mackney, George, Chequers
Martin, John, Fox and Hounds
Peat, William, postmaster, and shop keeper
Parkhurst, Thomas, farmer
Round, James, farmer
Saunder, Thomas H., paper manufacturer
Seager, James, carpenter
Sears, John, farmer
Thorp, Frederick, farmer
Walker, Mrs Adah, schoolmistress
Wallace, William, boot maker
Ware, John and William, blacksmiths
White, Henry, market gardener