Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
FOLKESTONE is a railway station, seaport, Municipal Corporation, and Electoral
district, which gives name to the hundred, and is in Elham union, and the lathe
of Shepway, East Kent, and parliamentary borough of Hythe, six miles S.W. of
Dover, 70 miles from London, and 82 miles by railway, 15 miles from Ashford, and
one mile and a half from Sandgate, which is partly in this parish. The town
stands at the side of a range of hills, and the streets are narrow, steep, and
irregular. An extensive building, connected with the harbour, has been
completed, and known as the Custom House Buildings. The church stands on a hill,
it is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Eanswith. It has a square tower in the
centre of the building, a peal of eight bells, and a good organ. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and
incumbency of the Rev. Matthew Woodward, Christ Church has been built, and
stands a little off the road between Folkestone and Sandgate. It is built in the
gothic style, but plain. It was built by the Right Hon. Earl of Radnor, and
endowed by that nobleman ; the Rev. William Powell, curate. A Baptist chapel was
erected at Uphill in 1846. The town is governed by a Mayor, Aldermen, and Town
Council. It also enjoys the elective franchise of the borough of Hythe.
Adjoining the Grammar School, in Rendezvous street, is a Dispensary for the
relief of the poor in sickness, &c.; the Right Hon. the Earl of Radnor, patron.
Quarter Sessions are held in the Town Hall. The County Court is held here,
Charles Harwood, Esq., Judge. The town is well supplied with, water by the Water
Works Company. There are five meeting-houses for Baptists, Independents,
Wesleyans, and Friends. There is now a new chapel building for the Independents
at the end of Tontine street. Ford is half a mile north; Ingles, half a mile
west; Coolbinge, one mile west; Broadmead, one mile N.W.; Walton, one mile
north; Uphill, two miles north; Tallingham, two miles north; St. Thomas Well,
two miles N.W.
Gentry in 1858 Directory
Folkestone Public Houses
Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname
A to I
; J to W
POST-OFFICE- Thomas Spearpoint, Post-Master, Tontine street. Money Orders
are granted and paid at this Office.
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT - Sir John Ramsden.
MAYOR - R. W. Boarer, Esq.
R. W. Boarer
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Folkestone Church. - Incumbent, Rev. Matthew Woodward.
Christ Church, Sandgate road. - Incumbent, Rev. William Powell.
Salem Baptist Chapel. - Minister, Rev. David Jones.
Particular Baptist Meeting-House, Bail.
Zion Independent Chapel, Fancy street. - Minister, Rev. J. M. N. Boyd.
Independent Chapel, in course of erection, end of Tontine street
Wesleyan Chapel, Sandgate road. - Ministers various.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Dover street. - Ministers various.
Quakers' Meeting-House, Dover street.
Grammar School, Endowed. - Master, Henry Ramsey.
British School, Mill lane. - Master, Thomas Holloway; Mistress, Lucy Mott.
Coast Guard Station Battery. - Captain G. Skipworth, R.N., Inspecting Commander.
County Court Office, Church street.- Ralph Thomas Brockman, Clerk
Custom House, Harbour. - Collector, John Edmund Lacon; Comptroller, Charles
Dispensary, Rendezvous street. - William Donelly, Physician.
Excise Office, Rose Inn, Rendezvous street.
Gas Company's Works. - James Sampson, Secretary
Harveman Institution, Lecture Room, Bail.
Water Works Company. - Richard Hart, Clerk.
Stamp Office, Tontine street. - Thomas Spearpoint, Distributor.
Town Hall and Market Place, Guildhall street.
Police Station, High street. - James Steer, Superintendent.
National Provincial Bank, Sandgate road. - Samuel Mackie, Manager.
Savings' Bank, Guildhall street. - A. M. Leith, Treasurer; William Venables,
District Visiting Society - Treasurer, Rev. Matthew Woodward.
Posting Houses: - Rose Inn, Rendezvous street; Pavilion Shades, Seagate street.