Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LENHAM is a small town, seven miles N.E. from Headcorn, nine miles N.W. from
Ashford, and nine miles and a half east by south from Maidstone. The population
in 1851 was 2,070. The church is an ancient edifice, and contains many ancient
monuments. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. Charles Parkin, M.A., is the
Shelve is one mile S.E.; Upper and Lower Ham, one mile west; Mackets, quarter of
a mile S.W.; Leadencross Green, half a mile S.W.; Sandway, one mile S.W.; Bowley
one mile and a half S.E.; Tophill, one mile north; Down's Court, one mile and a
half N.E.; Warren Street, one mile and a half N.E.; Waterditch, one mile and a
half east; West Street and Woodside Green, one mile and a half north; Bidding,
one mile and a half
S.W.; Biggin Heath, one mile and a half S.W.; Upper and Lower Runham, two miles
S.W.; Leverton or Leperton Street, two and a half miles S.W.; Morley, one and a
half mile N.W.; Graftey Green, three miles S.W.; Greenhill, two miles and a half
S.W.; Noat's Hill, two miles and a half S.W.
POST-OFFICE. - Edward Munk Day, Postmaster. Letters arrive through Maidstone.
Money Orders are granted and paid at the Lenham Office.
Chapman, Mrs. Mary, High street
Conant, Rev. John William, Swadelands
Leigh, Hon. Thomas Pemberton, Terry hill
Parkin, Rev. Charles, M.A., Vicar
Rushbridge, Joseph, Esq.1, Grove Cottage
Tapper, Rev. Isaac William, Independent minister
Public Houses in Lenham