Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
THE CRAYS are four respectable villages and parishes, contiguous to each other,
in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Ruxley hundred, and Bromley union, West Kent.
The most important of the four villages is St. Mary Cray, with a population, in
1851, of 1,400. Next is Foot's Cray, which was formerly called Fore's Cray. It
lies on the direct road from London to Maidstone, and is five miles from
Bromley; the population of which, in 1851, was 369, and of North Cray, 570, and
St. Paul's Cray, 554. Each of
these villages has its parish church; they are in the diocese of Canterbury.
Bateman, Rev. Josiah, Rector
Egerton, Rev. John, Vale Mascal
Gosling, Richard, Esq.
Laurie, Andrew, Esg., Mount Mascal
Lowe, the Misses
Richies, Mrs. Elizabeth
Wilson, Rev. Freeman, Ruxley Cottage
Wood, Western, Esq., North Cray place
Vardon, the Misses, Honeyden
Allen, Robert, farmer, Ruxley Farm
Appleyard, W. B., grocer
Bath, Josiah, farmer
Graves, John, the Red Cross
Magrath and Thompson, farmers, Mount Mascal Farm
May, Philip, beer retailer and baker
Marshall, Edward, farmer
Petty, William, fruit grower, Ruxley road
Young, John, carpenter
Yates, William, carrier