Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Sevenoaks
Traders in 1858
SEVENOAKS is a pleasant market and union town, situated on high ground, and is
surrounded by a delightfully diversified country. There are many handsome seats,
the residences of the numerous nobility of this healthy and agreeable locality.
The town is lighted with gas, and consists of two principle seats. There is a
market held on Saturday, but principally for corn. The population in 1851,
including Riverhead, Town Borould, and the Weald, was 4,178. The church is
dedicated to St Nicholas; it stands at the south end of the town, and is a
handsome building in the perpendicular style, with a square tower, which can be
seen each way for a considerable distance. The Rev. Thomas Curteis, M.A., is the
patron, incumbent, and impropriator; the Rev. Cyril Curteis, B.A., curate; and
the Rev. Edward H Boardman, second curate. Two episcopal chapels, with houses
for ministers, have been erected in the parish, by the Earl Amherst and the late
Multon Lambarde, Esq., with consent of the vicar as patron; one situated in
Weald, and the other at Riverhead.
The livings are perpetual curacies, in the patronage of the rector after the
decease of the founders. There is a Wesleyan chapel, which was erected in 1852,
by William W Pocock, Esq., a neat edifice, built in the Gothic style of
architecture, and will accommodate about 400 persons; the Rev. William B. Dennis
is the minister. There is also a chapel belonging to the Particular Baptists,
capable of accommodating 400 persons ; the Rev. Thomas Shirley is the minister.
The union workhouse has recently been removed to Birchfield, in the parish of
Sundridge. Here is also a literary and scientific institution, with 1,000
POST-OFFICE. - Samuel Thomas Hills, Postmaster. London letters arrive by Mail
from Tunbridge at 6 A.M., delivered at 7 A.M. Money Orders are granted and paid
at this office.
London and County Bank. - Charles Palmer, Manager, Draw on 21, Lombard street.
Savings' Bank. - Open from 12 until 1 o'clock every Monday. Thomas Mills,
Excise Office. - Held at the Royal Crown,
Gas Works. - John Shewen, Secretary.
Stamp Office. - G. W. Harrison, Distributor.
Union House. - James Browne.
Scientific and Literary Institution. - Thomas Hancock, George Ashdown,
Police Station, near the Vine. - James Handley, Superintendent of County
PLACES OF WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS
New Wesleyan Chapel. - The Rev. William B. Dennis, Minister.
Particular Baptist Chapel. - Rev. Thomas Shirley.
Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School. - Rev. James Raven, B.A., Second Master.
Lady Boswell's Free School. - John Thomas Bowen, Master.