Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
THE CRAYS are four respectable villages and parishes, contiguous to each other,
in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Ruxley hundred, and Bromley union, West Kent.
The most important of the four villages is St. Mary Cray, with a population, in
1851, of 1,400. Next is Foot's Cray, which was formerly called Fore's Cray. It
lies on the direct road from London to Maidstone, and is five miles from
Bromley; the population of which, in 1851, was 369, and of North Cray, 570, and
St. Paul's Cray, 554. Each of
these villages has its parish church; they are in the diocese of Canterbury.
SIDCUP is a populous hamlet, two miles N.E. of Chislehurst, and one mile N.W. of
Foot's Cray. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1844, and is a
neat edifice, in the Gothic style of architecture. Here is a Police station of
the R division, at which petty sessions are held the second Monday in every
month, for the Western Division of the county.
Boura, Edward, Esq., North End Villa | Martin, Thomas, Esq.
Blaker, Peter, barge owner
Brice, John, Plough
Burton, Mrs. Mary, beer retailer
Collier, William, farmer
Jordan, George, beer retailer
Smith, Joshua, baker, etc
Casselton, William, farmer
Tomlinson, Edwin, and Co., India Rubber Works
ST. MARY CRAY.
Joynson, Edmund Hamborough, Esq.
Joynson, Mr. William
Sloman, Rev. Samuel, Independent
Smith, Thomas Heckstall, Esq.
Watson, Rev. H., Curate
Public Houses in St Mary Cray