Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

Red Lion & Punch Bowl, 118 St John street, Clerkenwell EC1V

Clerkenwell pub history index

The address is 118 St John Street by 1869, following street renumbering from 51 St John street. * It would appear that the Criterion at 116 St John street was built, as the Rose & Punch Bowl at 118 St John street closed.

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

The following entries are in this format:

Residents at this address.

1811/William White, victualler, 51 St John street/../../Holdens Directory

1831/Mary Johnson/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1832/John Hunt/../../../Robsons Directory

1833-34/John Hunt/../../../Pigotís Directory

1836/William John Bishop/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1839/Thomas Matthews/../../../Pigotís Directory **

1841/T Matthews/../../../Post Office Directory

1841/Thomas Mathews/Victualler/55/../Census
1841/Ann Mathews/../35/Middlesex/Census
1841/Mary Clayton/female Servant/15/Middlesex/Census

1842/Thomas Matthews/../../../Robsons Directory

1843/Thomas Matthews/../../../Kellys Directory

1848/Mrs Ann Mills/../../../Kellys Directory

February 1849/Ann Mills/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

February 1849/James Bruce/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1851/James Bruce/../../../Kellys Directory

April 1852/Thomas Horation Brown/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

April 1852/George Clements/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1856/George Clemments/../../../Post Office Directory

1862/George Clemments/../../../Post Office Directory

1864/William Meadows/../../../Post Office Directory

William Easty, who was licensee of the Red Lion and Punch Bowl in Clerkenwell in March 1866, was the father of Ernest Easty who ran the Ship Afloat in Lower Thames street, in 1901.
William Eastyís son Ernest was born in October 1866, and William himself died only six months later from bronchitis, in April 1867, aged 31. His widow Mary Easty then took over the Red Lion and Punch Bowl. In 1868 she married Peter Tosh, a Scotsman, who is listed as outgoing licencee in November 1870. **

March 1866/W Easty/License renewal/../Clerkenwell News

1869/Mrs Mary Easty/../../../Post Office Directory *

November 1870/Peter Tosh/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

November 1870/Frederick Boon/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1871/Frederick Boon, Red Lion & Punchbowl, 118 St John street/../../Post Office Directory

1873/Frederick Boon, Red Lion & Punchbowl, 118 St John street/../../Post Office Directory

1876/Thomas Childs, Red Lion & Punchbowl, 118 St John street/../../Post Office Directory


* Provided By Ewan

** Provided By Lawrence Atkins

And Last updated on: Friday, 13-Sep-2019 13:17:01 BST