Covent Garden index
Existed from at least 1851. At the Bow Street intersection. This starts life as a beer house, and not to be confused with the Marquis of Anglesea at 39 Bow Street at this time. They are eventually both listed by 1869, as at some time about 1857, the Marquis of Anglesea becomes a larger premises and engulfs this building.
Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.
You may also wish to take a look at the St Clements Danes parish.
Residents at this address.
1851/William Lloyd/Beer Retailer/24/St Botolph, City, Middlesex/Census *
1851/Esther Drucilla Lloyd/Wife/24/Eaton, Berkshire/Census
1851/Clarissa Lloyd/Daughter/2/St James, Middlesex/Census
1851/Fanny Lloyd/Sister in Law/35/London, Middlesex/Census
1851/George Day/Pot Boy/17/Wincanton, Somerset/Census
1851/Mary Ann Dupea/House Servant/17/Bloomsbury, Middlesex/Census
William Lloyd is also at the Crown, 55 York Street, St Margarets, Westminster by November 1852; but apparently keeps this beer house until his insolvency in 1854. *
October 1854/Bankruptcy against William Lloyd of the Crown public house, York street, Westminster, Licensed Victualler and 22 Russell Street, Covent Garden, Beer shop keeper/../../../London Gazette *
1856/Miss Ann Elizabeth Smith/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory
Now see the Marquis of Angelsea.
* Provided By Don Lloyd