London 1746 Rocques map
You can search the historical London and Pub history sites by surname, street name etc.

Trooper Inn, Mill Street, Wincanton, Somerset

Wincanton pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset.

 

Residents at this address

Now Mr. R. R. Hutchings' establishment. Formerly named at different times the "Five Bells" and "Hare and Hounds." - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1723 — Occupied by Samuel White. Used as a butcher's shop and slaughter house. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1774— Widow Mitchell. " Five Bells." - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1796— William Jones. Rebuilt about this date. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1801 — Rachel Jones, widow. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1811 — Thomas Slade. Died in 1834. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1840 — Catherine Slade. Died in 1855. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1841 — Thomas Nimrod White. 4 cottages were taken down to build stables, when a garden was made into a stable yard and a bowling alley erected. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1841 — James Stay. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1842-44/Thomas White/Trooper, Market place/../../Pigots Directory

1861 — Richard Jenkins Bedford. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1861/Richard J Bedford/Inn Keeper & Farmer/32/Bristol, Gloucester/Census
1861/Adelaide Bedford/Wife/29/Oak Hill, Somerset/Census
1861/Kate A Bedford/Daughter/1/Wincanton, Somerset/Census
1861/Olivia Stanbury/Visitor, Lady/19/Cheltenham, Gloucester/Census
1861/Anne Bassett/Barmaid/20/Bath, Somerset/Census
1861/Mary Deverell/Housemaid/21/Bath, Somerset/Census
1861/Jane Charly/Nursemaid/14/Horsington, Somerset/Census
1861/Francis Coats/Tapp Boy/16/Bridgwater, Somerset/Census
1861/Samuel Daw/Ostler/33/Wincanton, Somerset/Census
1861/Thomas Gould/Brewer/50/Mambury, Devon/Census

1871/James Stay/Inn Keeeper/60/Temple Coombe, Somerset/Census
1871/Ann Stay/Wife/62/Wincanton, Somerset/Census
1871/James Stay/Son/24/Wincanton, Somerset/Census
1871/Caroline Foot/General Servant/18/Stoke Trister, Somerset/Census

1872 — Thomas Sherring left for the Greyhound, when it was closed as a licensed house and sold - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1873 — to Mr. James Sweetman, who opened a Temperance Hotel there.- Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1878 — Messrs. Hutchings purchased it and removed into it soon after. Mr. R. R. Hutchings, who remains. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.


And Last updated on: Monday, 10-Aug-2020 21:11:01 BST