Lambeth pub history index
The 1861 census entry is at 1 Alfred street
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Lambeth, London. This includes Kennington, Brixton, Lambeth, Norwood, Peckham & Waterloo Road. The Lambeth Pub history Directory uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Residents at this address.
1861/Charles Cook/Beer Retailer/27/Boxford, Suffolk/Census
1861/Lydia Harriet Cook/Daughter/3 months/Lambeth/Census
1861/Charles Wood/Waiter/16/Alfred street, Lambeth/Census
1861/Eliza Jorden/Housemaid/13/Ealing, Middlesex/Census
1861/John Brooks/Lodger, Widow/70/Andover, Hampshire/Census
The widow running the Alfreds Head in 1881, Maria Cook, was formerly Maria Hughes. Born in 1825 or thereabouts, she married James Cook in Bisham. Her late husband was a Sawyer and Licensed Victualler at the Red Lion, Ealing in 1871, and at Bisham in Berks in 1861. James Cook, late husband of the Maria who ran the "Alfred's Head" in Stockwell, ran the well-known Bull Inn in Bisham, as did his father (Thomas Cook) before him. **
Her son, Herbert, married in December 1881 to an Alice Teatheradge or Titheredge. They lived at Westmoreland Road in Walworth.
1881/Maria Cook/Beerhouse Keeper, Mother, Widow/55/Bow, Middlesex/Census
1881/Mary E Cook/Daughter, Barmaid/32/Bisham, Berkshire/Census
1881/Herbert Cook/Son, Clerk Solicitors/19/Bisham, Berkshire/Census
1905/Thos F Elliott/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory
1919/Edward Tall/Beer Retailer/../../Kellys Directory
1921/Edward Tall/Beer Retailer/../../Kellys Directory
1934/Edward Tall/Beer Retailer/../../Kellys Directory
1944/Edward Tall/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory
** Provided By Miranda Cook