Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

History of Dagenham in 1855 Post Office Directory

History of Dagenham

 

Dagenham 1855

Dagenham, near Romford, is a parish and village in Becontree Hundred, Romford Union, and Metropolitan police jurisdiction, South Essex. the parish is bounded by the Thames, The Rom, or Bourne Brook, and the Ingrebourne; and the village is 3 miles south east from the railway station at Romford, 2 miles from Rainham station of the London and Tilbury railway, 15 from London, and 12 from Whitechapel church.
The acreage is 6,608, including the water area; the [population, in 1851, was 2,494. The church, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, is an ancient brick and stone structure; the tower is embattled and crowned with a slated spire; there is a peal of 6 bells. The living is a vicarage, value 851, in the diocese of Rochester; the Rev Thomas Lewis Fanshawe is the incumbent and also the patron of the living.
Here is a Wesleyan chapel, also a chapel for the Wesleyan Reformers, a Charity and Infant School, and a police station. Dagenham has much marsh land, and on December 17th, 1707, a very high tide broke through the dike, flooded 1,000 acres, swept 160 acres into the river, and blew up the sluice. After much difficulty the breach was stopped by the famous Captain Perry, at a cost of 40,000; but there is still a great pool.

Gentry
De Bonelli Luigi Hugh esq, Wangey House
Denison Edward Hanscombe esq, Parsloes
Fanshawe Rev Thos Lewis, MA [rector]
Fanshawe Henry, esq
Hawkins Mrs

Traders
Anderson Alexander, farmer
Bolton William Warren, farmer
Bone Samuel, beer retailer
Bone Thomas, beer retailer
Brittain Thomas, farmer
Brown James, beer retailer
Chase Samuel, saddle maker
Chase Thomas, shoe maker
Choat Joseph, farmer
Colegate Henry, beer retailer
Collier James P, farmer
Collins Christopher John, grocer
Cowling Thomas, farmer
Crow John, grocer
Farrow James, shoe maker
Flowers Thomas, baker
Goddard William, baker
Goodwin Charles, plumber
Gray Alfred, farmer
Harris William, farmer
Hasten John, smith & wheelwright
Holgate Benj, carpenter & parish clerk
Hunsdon Robert, farmer
Key John, 'Rose & Crown'

Keys George, glover & hair dresser
Kittle Caroline (Mrs), grocer
Kittle George, 'Bull' & sub-postmaster
Marshall William, academy
Mayhew George, butcher
Mihill Rebecca (Mrs)
Miller James, farmer
Mortlock Thomas, miller
Noble William, beer retailer
Palmer Joseph, grocer
Palmer Thomas, farmer
Pearcey Samuel, 'Chequers'
Ramsden Joseph, farmer
Seabrook Ephraim, farmer
Seabrook John, 'Traveller'
Seabrook Samuel, farmer, Burleighs Farm
Shipton John, carpenter
Shutt Thomas, 'Cross Keys'
Smith John, farmer
Smith Thomas, grocer
Smitherman Joseph, tanner
Sockett Richard, farmer
Stafford James, brick layer
Stratford Frederick, serjeant of police
Sutton Joseph, farmer
Thompson Henry, miller
Thorogood Ann (Mrs), farmer
Thorogood John, farmer
Tuck Sarah (Mrs), farmer
Twyford Samuel, beer retailer
Waite John, farmer
Watts William, bricklayer

 

Post Office - George Kittle, sub-postmaster, at the Bull Inn. Letters through Romford arrive at 7 am & 1 pm; dispatched at 1/2 past 2 pm & 6 pm. The nearest money order office is at Romford.

Public Schools:-
Boys & Girls Charity, Alexander Marshall, master; Mrs Ann Bridge, mistress
Infant, Miss Ann Freshwater, mistress

 

 

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 18-Sep-2019 10:39:30 BST