Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Gentry in 1858
Public Houses in Rochester
Traders in 1858
A - D ; E - P ;
R - Y
ROCHESTER is a city, consisting of the city of Rochester proper, the borough of
Chatham, and the towns of Brompton, Gillingham, Strood, and Frinsbury; Brompton
being in the borough of Chatham, and Strood in the city of Rochester. The
population altogether in 1851 was 43,362, which includes the hospitals and
barracks. Rochester, as its name implies, was an ancient British town. The
Romans had here an
important station, which they called Durobrovae, but being conquered by the
English, they gave it its present name. The city is straggling, and extending
considerably on the shore of the river, In consequence of the railway, great
improvements have taken place in Rochester. The old bridge is being destroyed,
and a handsome new bridge has been erected over the river. The Cathedral is
considered one of the most ancient in the kingdom; it was founded in 604, and
consists of a nave, aisles, choir, and two transepts. The building forms a
double cross. A tower was erected in 1825, at the intersection of the transepts.
Gundulph's tower is on the north side of the choir, and there are two small
towers at the west end. The style of architecture is
chiefly Norman. In 1840, the interior was repaired and re-decorated. There are
several very ancient tombs and monuments. St, Margaret's church was rebuilt in
1824, and contains some old monuments and a stone font. St Nicholas church was
erected in 1624. There were also two other parishes, St Mary's and St Clement's;
but there are now no traces left of the churches. The town hall, gaol, gas
works, grammar school, and theatre, are the principal public buildings.
Day and Nicholson, High street. - Draw on Glyn and Go.
London and County Bank, High street. - G. E. Gates, Esq., Manager. Draw on
Saving's Bank, St. Margaret's. Bank open on Saturdays and Mondays.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, INSTITUTIONS, etc
Post-Office, High street. - Edward Finch, Postmaster. Day Mail hox closes 12.15
noon; Night Mail closes 10 p.m. Two deliveries, 7 a.m. and 2 p.m.
County Court Office, High street. - Court held at Guildhall. James Espinasse,
Esq., Judge; G. Ackworth, Esq., Registrar; Mr. C. Dorrett, High Bailiff.
Fort Pitt Military Hospital. - Alexander Cumming, Esq., Deputy Inspector General
of Hospitals; Duncan Menzies, Esq., Staff-surgeon.
Fort Clarence Military Hospital, Maidstone road. - Captain Robert Manners,
Gas Office and Works, High street. - Thomas Dewsberry, Manager.
Custom House. - W. H. Redpath, Esq., Collector; D. Gay, Esq., Comptroller; J. T.
Boucher, First Collector; C. Caddie, Distributor of Stamps.
MAYOR - W. Manclark, Esq. RECORDER. - J. Espinasse, Esq.
F. Furrell, Esq., Ex-Mayor
G. Essell, Esq.
J. Nightingale, Esq.
C. G. Burton, Esq.
R. Winch, Esq.
S. Sidden, Esq.
G. H. Drawbridge, Esq.
S. Steele, Esq.
J. Foord, Esq.
J. L. Levy, Esq,
E. R. Coles, Esq,
R. Prall, Esq., clerk. Sittings, Tuesdays and Saturdays, at 12 o'clock.
Lewis, J., Esq., town clerk
Hayward, W. W., Esq., clerk of the peace
Lewis, J., Esq., coroner
Sidden, T., Esq., treasurer
Dalton, Mr. W., collector of Anchorage
and City Dues; Stroud,Mr. J., at Sheerness
Bullard, Mr. J., principal water bailiff
Viney, Mr. G. M., principal sergeant at mace
Chambers, R. A., and Rimington, W. 0., mace bearers
Colyer, W., sen., crier
Dorrett, C., and Skiller, W. D., collectors of borough and watch rates
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Rochester Cathedral. - The Hon. and Right. Rev. G. Murray, D.D., Bishop; The
Rev. R.Stevens, D.D.,Dean; Rev. Dr. Robinson, Rev. M. Irving, D.D.,Ven.
King, Rev. J. Griffith, D.D., Rev. E. Hawkins, D.D., Canons; Rev. S.
Shaw, Rev. Goddard, Hon Canons; John Hasley Law, Esq., Counsel; George,
Essell, Esq., Chapel Clerk ; Rev. Robert Whiston, M.A., Master of the Grammar
School; Rev. J. Coates, Second Master; Rev. W. H. Drage, Rev. S.Dewe, Minor
Canons; Rev. S. Shepherd, Precentor; J'. Hopkins, Organist; Right Hon. S.
Lushington, LL.D., Chancellor of the Diocese; G. Essell, W. W. Hayward,
Registrars ; G. Essell, Registrar of Archdeaconry Court.
St Nicholas Parish - Rev W Conway, Vicar; Rev. R Conway, Curate
St Margaret's - Rev W H Drage, Vicar; Rev. D F Warner, Curate
Wesleyan Chapel, St Margaret's Bank
Friends Meeting House, Pump Lane
Jews' Synagogue, St Margaret's Bank
Congregational Chapel, Star hill - Rev. Dr. Jenkyn, Pastor