Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

History of Dagenham in 1874 Post Office Directory

History of Dagenham

 

Dagenham & Becontree Heath 1874

Dagenham (near Romford) is a parish and village, in the Southern division of the county, Becontree hundred, Romford union and county court district, Metropolitan police jurisdiction, Barking rural deanery, Essex archdeaconry, and Rochester diocese. The parish is bounded by the Thames, the Ron (or Bourne brook), and the Ingerbury brook, and the village is 3 miles south east from Romford, 2 from Rainham station on the London and Tilbury railway, and 12 from Whitechapel church.
The church of SS Peter and Paul is an ancient brick and stone structure, with an embattled tower crowned with a slated spire, and containing a peal of 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1598. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 851, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev John Farmer, MA, of Caius College, Cambridge.
Ford's Endowed school, in Church Elm lane, was built in 1841; it is a substantial building, with master's residence, and accommodation for 35 boys and 25 girls; and in Whalebone Lane is a branch school of the same charity, built 1857: this is also a good building, with master's residence, and provides room for 84 children.
Uphill's charity of 150 yearly is chiefly expended in clothing children, and in gratuities to them: the other charities are distributed yearly. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a chapel for the Wesleyan reformers.
dagenham has much marsh land, and on December 17th, 1707, a very high tide blew up the sluice, broke through the dyke: after much difficulty, and the lapse of fifteen years, the breach was stopped by the famous Captain Perry, at a cost of 40,000. Sir Edward Hulse, bart, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Marquis of Salisbury, Sir Edward Hulse, bart, Charles Freeman, J G Fanshawe, and Joseph Smitherman, esquires.
The soil is shingly; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes etc. The area is 6,556 acres, excluding 174 acres water area; gross estimated rental, 19,765; rateable value 16,502; and the population in 1871 was 2,879.
Becontree Heath is a large hamlet of this parish, and has a small Wesleyan chapel.
parish clerk, James Palmer

Post & Money Order Office & Post Office Savings Bank - Henry Smith, postmaster. Letters through Romford, arrive at 5.45 am & 11 am; dispatched at 1 pm & 6.20 pm. the nearest money order office is at Rainham.
Post Office, Becontree Heath - John Brewster, receiver, Letters via Romford, arrive at 5.30 am & 3,30 pm; dispatched at 3.30 & 6.30 pm. The nearest money order office is at Chadwell.
Insurance Agent - Sun, H Thompson
Police station, Frederick Stratford, sergeant
Schools:-
Ford's Endowed (boys & girls), William henry beard, master; Mrs Eleanor Shutt, mistress
Ford's Endowed (Branch), Whalebone lane, John William Freshwater, master; Miss Sarah Seymour, mistress

Dagenham
Private Residents
Farmer Rev John MA [vicar]
Morrison Richard, Lyceum Lodge
Pearcy Samuel Loyzel, Rose cottage
Shiers James, Vine cottage
Thorogood Samuel Boyton, Fox Lane

Commercial
Barr & Son, general dealers
Bates Charles, farmer, American farm
Beard Frederick, baker
Borrett Charles & Co, manure works, Dagenham wharf & at High Street, Stratford
Bruton William, Bull
Burke Edward, blacksmith
Chase Samuel, saddler & harness maker
Claxton Wm Thos, beer retailer & plasterer
Collier Richard, farmer, Wheald Farm
Collins Christopher John, shopkeeper
Congreve War Rocket, Ordnance & Military Stores Manufactory (Peter Pritchard, proprietor); office, 14 London Street, Fenchurch Street EC
Coppen Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer, Broad Street
Flowers George, baker
Gentry Henry, thatcher, Beam Road
Gill Edmund, baker
Gray Alfred, farmer, Four wants
Gray George, farmer, Stockdale Farm
Gray Henry, farmer, Pound House
Howgego John, market gardener, Five Elms
Key John, butcher
King Charles, beer retailer, Rose lane
Kirk Charles, wheelwright
Kirk William, farmer, Rookery Farm
Kittle Charles, farmer, & Chequers
Kittle George, Rose & Crown
Lewin James, blacksmith
March James, coal dealer
Noble William, beer retailer
Palmer Jas, shoe maker & parish clerk
Palmer Joseph, farmer, Halbut Street
Randall & Fowles, market gardeners, raydon's farm
Rivers Geo & Hen, farmers, Lake's farm
Rogers John, beer retailer, Halbut Street
Scott William, gardener & sexton
Shipton William, Cross Keys
Smith Thomas, grocer
Spencer John, grocer
Stevens George, farmer, Cambys

Thompson William, boot maker
Thorogood Ellen (Mrs), farmer
Thorogood Samuel B, farmer, Fox lane
Thorogood Sarah (Mrs), farmer, Frizlands
Wackett John, jobber
Waite John, shopkeeper
West Edward john, saddler
West Joseph Jonadab, grocer
Winch Thomas, hurdle maker
Wood Mary (Mrs), farmer, Broad Street

Becontree Heath
Anderson Alexander, Wallace Lodge
Blott John, Whalebone House
Kitching William, Woodlands
Newby Richard N, Whalebone Lodge
Scott William

Commercial
Avis Jonathan, wheelwright
Bailey James, beer retailer
Balls Charles, millwright
Bentley William, boot maker
Blewitt John, hay & straw dealer
Blewitt Robert, jobber
Brewster John, shopkeeper, & post office
Brown David, beer retailer
Brown Sarah (Mrs), beer retailer, Marksgate
Coppen Charles, farmer & cattle dealer
Curry george, farmer, Eastbrook End
Death George, builder & undertaker
Drake William jun, miller, Marksgate
Dunsdon John, market gardener, Heath Farm
Howgego George, Three Travellers
Howgego Henry, wheelwright
Kemp Isaac, straw dealer
Mead Abraham, farmer, Eastbrook End
Miller henry, farmer
Parish Coulson Douglas, farmer
Perry Joseph, basket maker
Reader Elijah, beer retailer
Rudge Samuel, smith
Samuel George & John, farmers
Smitheman Joseph, tanner
Thompson Hy, miller, Beam River mill
Turner George, straw dealer
Wiseman Edward jun, farmer, Marksgate

 

 

 

 

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 18-Sep-2019 10:39:30 BST