Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

History of Dagenham in 1882 Kellys Directory

History of Dagenham

 

Dagenham & Becontree Heath 1882

Dagenham is a parish and village, in the Southern division of the county, Becontree hundred, Romford union and county court district, Metropolitan police jurisdiction, Chafford rural deanery, Essex archdeaconry, and St Albans diocese. The parish is bounded by the Thames, the Rom (or Bourne brook), and the Ingerbury brook, and the village is 3 miles south west from Romford, 2 north west from Rainham station and 12 from Whitechapel church.
The church of SS Peter and paul is an ancient brick and stone structure, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, an embattled north tower surmounted by a slated spire, and containing a peal of 6 bells, dated 1768; the chancel and aisle date from the 13th century:the nave was rebuilt in 1800: there is a fine old tomb with barsses to Sir Thomas Urswyk, a former recorder of London, 1470, his wife, 4 sons and 9 daughters; and a marble monument to Sir Richard Alibon kt, a justice of the King's Bench, in the reign of james II, ob April 22, 1688: the stained east window is a memorial to T L Fanshawe, erected in 1878 by parishioners.
The register dates from the year 1598. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 852, with residence, in the gift of T C Stevenson Moore esq, and held by, the Rev John JamesStevenson Moore esq MA, LLD of Trinty College, Dublin.
Uphill's charity of 150 yearly, left by Jacob Uphill of dagenham, standard bearer to William and mary, Queen Anne and George I, who died Feb 26, 1717, at 59, is chiefly expended in clothing children, and in gratuities to them; other charities, including a bread charity left by John White, gent, who died February 2, 1673, are distributed yearly.
A School board of 5 members was formed here in 1874; and have schools at Becontree Heath. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Wesleyan reformers and United Methodist Free Church and a Congregational Chapel at Marks Gate..
Dagenham has much marsh land, and on December 17th, 1707, a very high tide blew up the sluice, broke through the dyke: after much difficulty, and lapse of fifteen years, the breach was stopped by the famous Captain Perry, at a cost of 40,000. Sir Edward Hulse, bart, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Marquis of Salisbury, Sir Edward Hulse, bart, the Dean and Canons of Windsor, J G Fanshawe, and Joseph Smitherman, esquires.
The soil is shingly; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes etc. The area is 6,608 acres, excluding 174 acres water area; rateable value 21,358; and the population in 1881 was 3,411.
Becontree Heath is a large hamlet of this parish, 2 1/2 miles north and has a Methodist Free Church.
Parish clerk and Sexton, William A Palmer


Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank - Henry Howgego, postmaster. Letters through Romford, arrive at 5.45 am & 10.15 am; dispatched at 2.40 pm & 6.30 pm. Sunday delivery commences at 7 am & dispatched at 6.30 pm the nearest telegraph office is at Rainham.
Post Office, Becontree Heath - John Farrow, receiver, Letters via Romford, arrive at 5.30 am & 3.30 pm; dispatched at 3.30 & 6.30 pm. The nearest money order office & telegraph office are at Chadwell Heath. There is a Pillar Box at Marks Gate, cleared at 7.15 am & 3.15 pm.

Insurance Agents:-
Guardian, H L Philpot, High Street
Sun Fire, H Thompson, Beam River mill
Metropolitan Police station, John Durley, inspector
Clerk to the School Board, W Smith, Romford
Schools:-
Ford's Endowed, Church Elm Lane, founded in 1828 by William Ford, of Dagenham; the buildings include a master's residence & will hold 120 boys & as many girls; in Whalebone lane is a branch school comnected with this charity, built in 1857 & available for 84 children; these schools have an annual endowment of 300, arising from money left for educational purposes by Thomas Waters, who died March 6th, 1756; (boys & girls), John Doubleday, master; Mrs Emma Doubleday, mistress
Board (infants 1st standard) built in 1874, for 125 children; Mrs Deards, mistress
Board (mixed), Becontree Heath, built about 1877 for 250 children; Peter Henry Trachy, master; Mrs Alice Trachy, mistress; Miss Taylor, assistant mistress


Dagenham
Beal Thomas, Hog Hill
Burchell John Philip, Marks Gate
Cockshot Henry, Marks Gate
Cockshot John, Marks Gate
Dughau Rev John J
Fitch Samuel Hill, Parsloes
Moore Rev John James Stevenson, MA, LLD, Vicarage
Sloper Arbuthnott John, Hog Hill

Commercial
Aires William George, farmer, Foxland
Alison John, farmer
Arnold George, farmer, Broad Street
Barr Edward, straw dealer
Beard Frederick Richard, baker
Bennett John, market gardener
Blaizby George, beer retailer
Brawn James, farmer, Rat's hall lane
Brown Henry Robert, joiner, Marks Gate
Brown Sarah (Mrs), Marks Gate Inn
Bull Sarah (Mrs), beer retailer, New Road
Burke Edward, blacksmith
Claxton William Thomas, brick layer
Cooper Thomas, shopkeeper
Crosfield Albert Joseph & Co (Charles Borrett, manager), candle & manure works, River bank
Currie George, farmer, Eastbrook End
Dockrill George, beer retailer, Five Elms
Drake William, miller, Marks Gate
Farrow George, coal dealer
Flowers George, baker
Gay William, farmer
Gill Edward, baker & farmer
Gooliffe Frances (Mrs), Chequers
Gray Alfred, farmer, House Farm
Gray Henry, farmer, America Farm & Pound House Farm
Hannar James, beer retailer, Hog Hill
Howgego Hy, wheelwright & post office
Howgego John, market gardener, Five Elms
Kelley Arthur, saddler & collar maker
Key John, butcher
Kirk Charles, wheelwright
Kirk William, farmer, Rookery Farm
Mihill Wm Reeve, farmer, Eastbrook End
Noble William, beer retailer
Palmer Alfred, Rose & Crown
Palmer James Walter, shopkeeper
Palmer Joseph, farmer, Halbut Street
Parrish Coulson Douglas, farmer
Philpot Henry Lewis, grocer
Pye Abraham, beer retailer & straw dealer, Rose lane
Randall & Fowles, market gardeners
Rodwell David William, Bull Inn
Rivers Geo & Hen, farmers, Lake's farm
Rogers John, beer retailer, Halbut Street
Salmon Wm, farm bailiff to John Blott esq, Marks gate
Shipton William, Cross Keys
Smith Henry, family grocer, tea & provision dealer, ironmonger, draper etc
Stevens George, farmer, Cambys
Stevens William Henry, saddler
Thompson Hy, miller, Beam River mill
Thompson William, boot & shoe maker
Torrance Hugh Woodburn, dairy farmer, The Padnals
Wackett John, farmer, Rose lane
Waite John, shopkeeper
West Edward John, saddler
West Joseph Jonadab, grocer
Wiseman Isaac, farmer


Becontree Heath

Commercial
Avis Jonathan, wheelwright
Balls Charles, millwright
Bentley William, boot maker
Blair Selina (Mrs), Three Travellers
Blewitt John, hay & straw dealer
Blewitt Joseph, hay & straw dealer
Blewitt robert, hay & straw dealer
Brewster John, shopkeeper
Brown Rebecca (Mrs), beer retailer
Coppen Charles, farmer, Whalebone Farm
Farrow Jas, harness maker & post office
Gay Isaac, farmer, Whalebone Farm
Kemp Isaac, straw dealer
Knight James, hay & straw dealer
Malton Daniel, shopkeeper
Mead Abraham, farmer, Eastbrook Farm
Randall & Fowles, market gardeners
Reader Elijah, beer retailer
Rudge Samuel, smith
Saggars John, farmer
Samuel George, farmer
Seabrook Selina (Mrs), farmer, Butlers
Smitheman Joseph, tanner
Twyford John Forster, threshing machine proprietor, Whalebone lane

 

 

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 18-Sep-2019 10:39:30 BST