Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Public Houses of Ramsgate
Gentry in 1858
Traders in Melvilles 1858 Directory by surname
A to B ; C to E ;
F to H ; I to M ;
N to Sk ; Sm to Y
Also see St Lawrence
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
RAMSGATE is a watering place and sea port in the Isle of Thanet, Ringslow
Hundred, lathe of St. Augustine, East Kent. It is distant .97 miles from London
(by railway), 16 from Canterbury, 30 from Ashford; 20 from Dover, and 4 from
Margate. Eamsgate has. long been celebrated for its excellent harbour of refuge.
The pier forms a beautiful promenade, the view from which is of the finest
.description. The town consists of two parishes; Ramsgate, with a population of
11,838, and St. Lawrence, with a population of 3,015; altogether, 14,853. The
market days are Wednesday and Saturday. Here is a branch railway to Margate,
Deal, Sandwich, and Canterbury, joining the mainline of the South-Eastern at
Ashford,. Ramsgate church, which is dedicated to St. George, was erected in
1827, and will seat 2,000 persons.
It is a handsome edifice in the gothic style. The Rev. Richard Harvey, M.A.,
St Lawrence's church is a fine edifice in the Norman style, dedicated to the
Holy Trinity. The Rev. S. H. Feild, incument. There is also a Chapel of Ease,
situated in Chapel Street. Christ church is situated in Ramsgate Vale. The Rev.
T. H. Davis, incumbent. The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is in Hardres Street; the
Independent chapel is in Meeting Street; The Baptist chapel is in Cavendish
street; the General Baptist chapel is in Camden Square; the Primitive Methodist
chapel is in Farley Place.
The Jews have a synagogue in Hereson Road. The Town Hall is the place of sitting
for the Magistrates. The Water Works Company have works at Southwood. There are
also gas works. The Custom House is a large and commodious building. There are
several libraries, and two banks; also a post office, which is in the High
Street. The Assembly Rooms are attached to the Albion Hotel, on the Quay, and
are well adapted for the entertainment of visitors.
PLACES OP WORSHIP.
St. George's Church, High street.- Harvey, Rev. Richard, vicar; Bevds. Messrs.
Phillips and Woolmer, Curates.
Chapel-of-Ease to the Parish Church, Chapel street.
Trinity Church, St. Lawrence - Feild, Rev. Samuel Hands, Incumbent.
Christ Church - Davis, Rev. Thomas Hart, Incumbent; Estridge, Rev. Henry,
St. Augustine's Catholic Church, West Cliff - Alcock, Rev. James Wilfred,
General Baptist Chapel, Farley place. .
Baptist Chapel, Cavendish street - Etheridge, Rev. Benjamin C., Minister.
Broad Street Church - Mortlock, Rev. Daniel, Minister.
Mount Zion Baptist Chapel, Mount Zion place - Sharp, Rev. William, Minister.
Providence Chapel, Broad street.
Primitive Methodist, Bethesdar street.
Wesleyan Chapel, Hardres street - Sergent, Rev. William H., Minister.
Congregational Chapel, Meeting street - Bevis, Rev. Henry Joseph, Minister.
Jewish Synagogue, Hereson road - Myers, Isaac Henry, Rabbi.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, INSTITUTIONS, etc
County Court Office, Cavendish street - Harwood, Charles, Esq., Judge; Snowden,
Thomas H. Or., Registrar; Elgar, Laurence, Assistant Clerk; Bowling, Thomas,
Custom House, Goldsmid place - Jones, Thomas, Collector ; Patherick, William,
Comptroller; Strong, Henry E., Clerk; Nash, W. H., Searcher.
Gas Works, Hardres street - Hunt, W. A., Manager.
Seamen's Infirmary, West Cliff road - Carter, Mrs. Mary, Matron; Williams,
Music Hall, George's place.
Ramsgate Club, Albion place - Daniel, James, Secretary.
Police Station, Market place, Livick, James, Superintendent.
Ramsgate Bank, Queen street, Draw on Dimsdale, Drevvett, and Co., 50, Cornhill,
National Provincial Bank of England, 1, Goldsmith place, Draw on the London and
Westminster Bank - Bayton, William M., Manager.
Savings' Bank - W. A. Hunt, Secretary; Open Saturday, from 7 to 8 p.m.
General Post-Office, High street - Hodgson, John Barnet, Postmaster; morning
delivery, 7 a.m.; afternoon, 4.30 p.m.; day mail despatched, 10 a.m., night
mail, 10 p.m.